Friday 25 June 2010

Oh so, Oh so

I'm not sure I have felt fear like this - fear of irreparable tangles, knotting, breakage, fear of running out ....the general fear associated with uber expensive yarn....

It is oh so soft......
It is oh so sparkly......
The colour is oh so subtle
I am in LOVE!



Its artyarns beaded silk (149S Silver/Cloud).

I'm keeping the pattern for the scarf very simple. Its a simple lace pattern - the 'One Row Lace Scarf' from Turvid on Ravely. The pattern is simple and I'm finding it oh so SCARY!!

I am not a knitting natural, I am more of a hooker (*sniggers). The fear of a dropped stitch haunts me as I find it so difficult to rectify and find the stitches in knitting. Hooks and mistakes do not pose a problem....knitting needles and stitches are another story.

This scarf was cast on five time...yes...you read that right FIVE nailbiting times....

The dilemma - would I have enough yarn to make a scarf that looked both wide enough and long enough!  In the end I knitted until I had 7cm and measured and weighed the wool that was left in the ball. 7cm with 40 cast on stitches took 10g of precious yarn. I did the maths and worked it out and the scarf would have been too short for comfort.....so it was unravelled and a final cast on of 28 stitches is currently working up a dream.


This scarf if a labour of time, Concentration and minute upon minute of frowning.....(I can only work 10-20 rows a night before I get tired and catch myself before a mistake is made!)There are already 2 mistakes in this work but I am Oh so proud of the result so far.



I hope the special recipient will appreciate the labour and thought which has gone into this creation which for any other acomplished knitter would be a breeze!  I am Half way through.....

No comments:

Post a Comment